Today I want to write some interesting facts about Nigeria. Nigeria is believed to be the most known black nation in the world with a total land area of 923, 770 square kilometers. The country is located in West Africa and bounded on the North by Niger Republic, on the West by Republic of Benin and on the East by Cameroon. Below are some interesting fact about Nigeria:
1. Nigeria is the most populous black nation in the world with over 170 million people
2. The richest black woman in the world is a Nigerian – Folorunso Alakija
3. The Cocoa House in Ibadan was once the tallest building in Africa. It was built in 1965
4. The Nigerian Currency – Naira was introduced in 1959
5. Nigerian immigrants in the U.S are one of the most educated
6. The largest river in West Africa is the River Niger with a span of 4180km.
7. The Niger Delta is the second largest delta in the world
8. There are 152 accredited universities in Nigeria
9. Nigeria has the 10th largest crude oil reserve in the world
10. The first and only Nigerian Nobel Laureate is Professor Wole Soyinka
11. Nigerians are football lovers and the Nigerian Football team is called the Super Eagles
12. President Gowon split Nigeria into 12 states in 1967
13. Nigeria was the first African country to eradicate the Ebola threat in 2015
14. Nigeria has over 500 ethnic groups while the most prominent ethnic groups are the Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa
15. Cross River State in Nigeria has the largest diversity of butterflies in the world
16. The largest annual Christian gathering in Africa is hosted by the Redeemed Christian Church of God and it is called the Holy Ghost Convention
17. Nigeria’s climate is tropical
18. The richest man in Africa is a Nigeria. His name is Aliko Dangote, the founder of the Dangote Group
19. With the current presidential system, Nigeria has had 7 years of Northern rule and 11 years of Southern rule
20. Nigeria has the longest bridge in Africa which is the Third
Mainland Bridge in Lagos State.
With the little I have been able to discuss, I hope you have known little about Nigeria.
“Nigeria, the country of Good People and a Great Nation”